This Cebu Pacific P1 seat sale madness is seriously stressing me out. Barely have I taken the plunge and bought Bohol tickets for Holy Week break (even if I’m not sure I can secure a leave for the whole week) when this promo comes along, which resulted in many frantic mouse clickings at the online booking facility trying out flights to various destinations, occasionally punctuated by gasps at the cheap rates.
Securing a June 9-12 flight was the target of my fervent hopes. I first learned of the promo Thursday last week, when Mika, who was playing around the Cebu Pacific website, came up to me and said, in hushed conspiratorial tones, that if you book a flight to Kuala Lumpur for June 22-25 the calculations will just give you a P1 fare ++. I checked it out, and true enough, yay it did. We were actually stuck for a couple of minutes wondering if there was some fluke in the system (and if there was, could we take advantage of it? Mwahaha. Joke lang, baka ilaglag kami sa eroplano), when further investigation revealed that yes, all is legal and above board, and the airline has just launched a new promo offering P1 fare to all domestic and international flights for travel June to December, yada-yada, BUT you only have until March 8 to book. Hence triggering the frantic mouse clickings and occasional gasps.
I spent the next three or four days texting and messaging possible travel buddies, and wavering among various destinations and weighing multiple factors – will I be able to get a leave for June 11? Would I have enough funds for the Bohol trip if I buy these tickets (yes, but barely)? Is it more advisable to risk the cheaper P2,500 local flight than go for the international one, in case I won’t be able to make the trip? And once we get there (wherever that was), what would be the itinerary (yes, we were worrying about that already. The trip would have to be worth the risk, you see). And what about that new camera we’re supposed to get before the Bohol trip? Don, who can be too OC and process-oriented for his own good (for my own good actually, he he), took me through the whole list of considerations.
In a matter of days we were able to “book” flights to Cagayan de Oro (end destination Camiguin), Kuala Lumpur (end destination wherever), and Dumaguete (end destination Siquijor and Apo Island), and as fate would have it, once we’ve decided on a flight we would discover that there were no more P1 seats available. The damn price changes in a matter of hours, even minutes!! Sabi ko na nga ba dapat fast thinking dito. The fact that I don’t have a credit card (have stubbornly refused to get one out of fear that I’d absolutely ruin my life with it) didn’t help matters. It would have been sooo easy to just click, go ahead and book the flights before my OC and process-oriented boyfriend knew what hit him. Of course, it would have been my fault, at sagot ko yung risk kung hindi kami matuloy, he he.
From the initial excitement, indecision, and despair, I have now settled into acceptance and resignation. There is still the Bohol trip, after all, not to mention the summer company outing (na sana hindi sa Bohol!) to look forward to. And what is the big idea asking us to decide and shell out money on something that’s not until many many months from now, just because it’s on sale? It’s an evil, evil, brilliant ploy, and I was so along for the ride.